Joint Editor of International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health
Editorial Board membership:
Policy and Practice in Health and Safety
Journal of Risk and Governance
- Lyons G and Watterson A (2010) A Review of the role Pesticides play in some cancers: children, farmers and pesticide users at risk? Chemtrust, London. (pp48)
- Watterson, A., Turner, F. , Coull, A. , Murray, I. and Boreham, N. (2009) Evaluation of the extension of independent nurse prescribing in Scotland. Edinburgh, Scottish Government Social Research
- Watterson A(ed) (2002) Public Health in Practice. Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke
Edited peer-reviewed works: Book Chapters
- Watterson A (2009) Agricultural Health and Safety in Munkman’s Employers Liability ed Cotter B and Bennett D. Elsevier , London pp788-799.
- Watterson A and Watterson J (2002) 'Implementing Pesticide Regulation: Gender Differences' in Silent Invaders: Pesticides, Livelihoods and Women's Health ed Jacobs M and Dinham B. Zed books, London pp230-36
- Introduction Chapter One in Watterson A(ed) (2002) Public Health in Practice. Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke pp1-23
- A.Watterson and J Watterson (2002). Public health research tools in Watterson A(ed) Public Health in Practice. Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke pp 24-51
- Occupational health in Watterson A(ed) (2002) Public Health in Practice. Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke pp 210-235
- Watterson, A; Gorman, T; McCourt, J; Dennis, M (2002) Conclusion. Watterson A(ed) Public Health in Practice. Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke pp 257-260
- Watterson A (2006) Out of the shadows and into the gloom: health and safety of workers in and around the semiconductor plants of Central and Eastern Europe’ in Smith T et al (eds) Challenging the Chip: Labor Rights and Environmental Justice pp96-106. Temple University Press, Philadelphia.
- Watterson A and Shenglin Chang (2006) Section Introduction pp 107-110 in Smith T et al (eds) Challenging the Chip: Labor Rights and Environmental Justice. Temple University Press, Philadelphia.
- Watterson A (2006) ‘Agriculture and Forestry Health and Safety’ Chapter 11 pp647-654 in Munkman on Employer’s Liability edited by Hendy J and Ford M (2006 2nd edition) Butterworths, London.
- Watterson A (2004) ‘Occupational Health’ in Forsyth, T (eds) Encyclopedia of International Development. Abington, Oxon, Routledge Taylor and Francis Group pp495-496
- ‘Regulating Pesticides in the UK: a case study of risk management problems relating to the organophosphate diazinon’ in Leng G and Hadnagy W (eds) (1999) Health Aspects of Environmental and Occupational Pesticide Exposure. Amsterdam, Elsevier pp241-248
- ‘Why we still have old epidemics and endemics in occupational health: policy and practice failures and some solutions’ in Daykin N and Doyal L (eds) (1999) Health and Work: Critical Perspectives. London, Macmillan pp107-126
- ‘Toxicology in the working environment’ in Rose J. (ed) (1998) Environmental Toxicology: Current Developments. Gordon and Breach Science Publishers, Amsterdam, pp 225-252
- ‘The Hazards of Organophosphates: UK Risk Assessments of Sheep Dips in Historical and Contemporary Context’ in Donham KJ, Rautianien R; Schuman SH and Lay JA (eds) (1997) Agricultural Health and Safety: Recent Advances. The Haworth Medical Press. New York. :157-167.
Peer Reviewed Papers
- LaDou J, Castleman B, Frank A, Gochfeld M, Greenberg M, Huff J, Joshi TK, Landrigan PJ, Lemen R, Myers J, Soffritti M, Soskolne CL, Takahashi K, Teitelbaum D, Terracini B, Watterson A (2010) . The case for a global ban on asbestos. Environ Health Perspect. 2010 Jul;118(7):897-901. Epub 2010 Jun 8.
- Takaro TK, Davis D, Watterson A et al (2010) Scientists appeal to Quebec premier Charest to stop exporting asbestos to the developing world. IJOEH 16(2):241-8
- Young J, Little D, Watterson A et al (2010) Growing Green: the emergent role of non-tilapia attributes Aquaculture Economics & Management, 14 (1):63 - 79
- Watterson A (2009) Arsenic and Old Wool: An Early Example of the Precautionary Principle in the Risk Management Cycle or Sheep in a Toxic Wolf’s Clothing? Journal of Risk and Goverance 1(1):pp 65-78
- Watterson A, Little D, Young J, Boyd K, Azim E, Murray F (2008) Towards Integration of Environmental and Health Impact Assessments for Wild Capture Fishing and Farmed Fish with Particular Reference to Public Health and Occupational Health Dimensions. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 5, 258-277; DOI: 10.3390/ijerph5040258
- Watterson A, Gorman T, O’Neill R (2008) Occupational cancer prevention in Scotland: a missing public health priority. Eur.J.Oncol., vol. 13 (3): 161-169.
- Carlin J, Knight J, Pickvance S, Watterson A (2008) A Worker-Driven and Community-Based Investigation of the Health of One Group of Workers Exposed to Vinyl Chloride Monomer (VCM) . Journal of Risk and Governance 1(2):pp18
- Watterson A et al (2008) A Report of the International Occupational and Environmental Cancer Prevention Conference . Stirling, Scotland Conference . Eur.J.Oncol., vol. XIII, n. 2, pp115-122
- Little D, Murray F, Azim E, Leschen W, Boyd K, Watterson A, Young J (2008) Options for producing a warm water fish in the UK: Limits to ‘Green’ Growth. Trends in Food Science and Technology 19(5): 255-264
- Van Larebeke N, Sasco A, Brophy J, Keith M, Gilbertson M, Watterson A (2008. April –June) . Sex Ratio Changes as Sentinel Health Events of Endocrine Disruption . IJOEH
- O'Neill R, Pickvance S, Watterson A (2007) Burying the evidence: how Great Britain is prolonging the occupational cancer epidemic. IJOEH 13(4):428-36.
- Bailar JC 3rd, Cicolella A, Harrison R, LaDou J, Levy BS, Rohm T, Teitelbaum DT, Wang YD, Watterson A, Yoshida F (2007). IBM, Elsevier Science, and academic freedom. IJOEH. 13(3):312-7.
- Gilbertson M, Watterson AE (2007). Diversionary reframing of the Great Lakes Water Quality Agreement. J Public Health Policy. 28(2):201-15.
- Watterson A (2007) Global Construction Health and Safety: what works, what doesn’t and
why. Editorial. IJOEH 13:1-4
- Brophy, J, Keith M, Gorey K, Laukkanen E, Luginaah L, Hakam abu-zahra, Watterson A, Hellyer D, Reinhartz A, Park R Park R. (2007) Cancer and Construction: What Occupational Histories in a Canadian Community Reveal. IJOEH 13:468-474
- Watterson, A. Regulation of occupational health and safety in the semiconductor industry: enforcement problems and solutions. IJOEH (2006). 12(1):72-80
- Watterson, A; Gorman, T; Malcolm, C; Robinson, M; Beck, M (September 2006). The economic costs of health service treatments for asbestos-related mesothelioma deaths Annals New York Academy Science. 1076;871-881
- Brophy, JT; Keith, M; Gorey, KM; Luginaah, I; Laukkanen, M; Hellyer, E; Reinhartz, A; Watterson, A; Abu-Zahra, H; Maticka-Tyndale, E; Schneider, M;Beck, M; Gilbertson, M (2006) Occupation and breast cancer: a Canadian case-control study. Annals New York Academy Science.1076:765-777
- Ring, N; Coull, A; Howie, C; Murphy Black, T; Watterson, A (2006) Analysis of the impact of a national initiative to promote evidence based nursing practice. Int J Nurs Pract 12(3):254-8
- Watterson, A; Thomson, P; Malcolm, C; Shepherd, A; McIntosh, C. Integrating environmental health into nursing and midwifery practice. Journal of Advanced Nursing 2005;49(6):1-10.
- Ring, N; Malcolm, C; Coull, A; Murphy Black, T; Watterson, A (2005) Nursing best practice statements: an exploration of their implementation in clinical practice. Journal Clinical Nursing 14:1048-1058
- Pennycook, F; Diamand, E; Watterson, A; Howard, CV (2004). Modeling the Dietary Pesticide Exposures of Young Children. IJOEH July-August 2004; 10(3); pp304-309.
- Gorman, T and Watterson, A (2004) Confronting the continuing problem of asbestos in Scotland: a public sector health initiative. New Solutions. 14(1): 77-98
- Gorman, T; Johnston, R; McIvor, A; Watterson, A (2004) Asbestos in Scotland. IJOEH. 10(2): 183-92
- Brophy, JT; Keith, M; Gorey, K; Laukkanen, E; Hellyer, D; Watterson, A; Reinhartz, A; Gilbertson, M.(2002) Occupational Histories of Cancer patients in a Canadian Treatment center and the generated hypothesis regarding breast cancer and farming. IJOEH 8(4)346-353
- Ashford, N; Castleman, B; Frank, A; Giannasi, F; Goldman, L; Greenberg, M; Huff, J; Joshi, T; LaDou, J; Lemen, R, Maltoni, C; O'Neill, R; Richter, E; Silbergeld, E; Teitelbaum, D, Thebaud-Mony, A; Tomatis, L; Watterson, A. (2002). International Commission on Occupational Health (ICOH) and its Influence on International Organizations. IJOEH 8(2):156-62
- Bailar, J; Greenberg, M; Harrison, R; LaDou, J; Richter, E; Watterson, A, Phase 2, SCCOSH, SVTC (2002) Cancer Risk in the Semiconductor Industry: A Call for Action. IJOEH 8(2):163-68
- Beck, M; Robson, M; Watterson, A; Woolfson, C (2002) Exploring Health, Safety and Environment in Central and Eastern Europe. New Solutions 11(3):6-10
- Watterson, A and Ladou, J (2003) HSE inspection of UK semiconductor manufacturers. IJOEH 9(4):392-5
- Watterson A: Pesticide Health and Safety and the Work and Impact of International Agencies: Partial Successes and Major Failures. Int J Occup Environ Health. 2001; 7(4):339-34
- Watterson A (2000) Agricultural Science and food policy for consumers and workers: recipes for public health successes or disasters? New Solutions: International journal of environmental and occupational health policy 2000(5):1-8